Good dental hygiene: tips
Good hygiene helps to avoid the main oral pathologies. Oral hygiene is the set of measures taken in order to maintain the health and cleanliness of your teeth. Adopting optimal hygiene helps prevent cavities, gum disease and bad breath.
Here are some tips to optimize your oral health:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day, morning and night, using a toothbrush and toothpaste. Also brush your gums and tongue.
- Floss or use interdental brushes once a day to remove plaque and food residue that has accumulated between your teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months (or sooner if the bristles are worn).
- Visit your dental hygienist every six months to have your teeth and gums scaled and monitored.
Scaling: make an appointment at our dental office in Nyon
Scaling helps maintain good oral hygiene and prevent oral health problems in the long term. This treatment consists of removing plaque and tartar that have accumulated on your teeth and gums. Tartar is the hard, yellowish substance that forms at the junction of the gum and the tooth, where bacterial plaque has calcified. Tartar can cause inflammation of the gums, known as gingivitis, and eventually more serious gum and tooth disease (tooth decay).
Scaling is performed in the dental office. It is performed by a dental hygienist or a dental doctor. This treatment consists of removing plaque and tartar using manual instruments (curettes) or mechanical instruments (ultrasound machines).
At Smile Clinique, this treatment is made perfectly painless thanks to the use of the latest technologies such as the Swiss brand EMS ultrasound machines. Our practitioners listen to your needs in order to adapt the intensity of the treatment according to your sensitivity.
Smile Clinique recommends that you have your teeth scaled at least every six months.
If the condition of your teeth or gums requires it, our team of professionals will advise you to adapt your treatment. In order to optimize your oral health, it is sometimes necessary to increase the frequency of your scaling.
Other tips for maintaining good dental hygiene
- Limit your intake of sweets and sweetened beverages, which can lead to cavities.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste that will strengthen your tooth enamel and protect against cavities.
- If you suffer from gum disease, follow your dentist’s recommendations to prevent more serious conditions such as receding teeth.
- If you are undergoing orthodontic treatment, follow the instructions for use and care shared by your orthodontist.
- If you have dentures, clean them thoroughly every day to prevent plaque and tartar build-up.
By following these tips you will improve your dental hygiene and keep your mouth healthy and your teeth strong. Don’t forget to visit the Smile Clinique team regularly for your scaling and follow-up exams.