Learn more about tooth whitening
Tooth whitening is a cosmetic treatment that removes stains and discoloration from your tooth enamel.
There are many reasons why teeth can become stained or yellowed. The consumption of certain foods and beverages (coffee, tea, red wine) can lead to staining of the teeth. Age can also play a role in tooth discoloration because tooth enamel naturally turns yellow over time.
Make your smile shine again with our teeth whitening.
Dental whitening: in office or at home?
At the Smile Clinic, our dentists or dental hygienists offer 2 types of whitening:
- Chairside bleaching: This method is performed by a dentist or dental hygienist in the dental clinic. This treatment consists of applying a whitening gel to the teeth before exposing them to an LED lamp. In-office bleaching takes about an hour and the results are visible immediately.
- At-home whitening: This is a whitening kit that is prepared for you to whiten your teeth. During the first appointment, the Smile Clinique team takes your dental impressions in order to prepare trays adapted to your teeth. At the second appointment, a kit containing your trays and the whitening gel is given to you. The treatment consists of wearing these trays at home for a certain period of time (usually 1 to 2 hours a day for a week). The results of home bleaching are visible within a few days.
It is important to note, however, that tooth whitening is not for everyone. The choice of method will depend on factors such as the sensitivity of the teeth and the severity of the stains. In addition, this treatment should not be applied to people with gum problems, nor should it be used by pregnant or nursing women. It is advisable to consult a dentist before undergoing a teeth whitening treatment.
Dental bleaching: temporary or permanent solution?
Tooth whitening is a temporary treatment that can help you make your teeth whiter and give you a brighter smile. However, it is not a permanent solution. The results of teeth whitening can last from a few months to several years, depending on each individual’s eating habits and frequency of dental care.
Keep your teeth white with a follow-up appointment with our dental hygienist after a teeth whitening treatment.
Here are some tips for maintaining the results of teeth whitening for as long as possible:
- Limit the consumption of products that can stain your teeth: coffee, tea, red wine and sugary drinks. If you can’t do without them, it is advisable to brush your teeth after consuming these products.
- Quitting smoking can help keep your teeth white: smoking is one of the main causes of yellowing teeth.
- Use dental floss or interdental brushes: they can help remove food residue that accumulates between teeth and contributes to tooth discoloration.
- Drinking water regularly throughout the day can help rinse teeth and prevent staining.
- See your dentist or dental hygienist regularly for professional scaling and to monitor the condition of your teeth and gums: scaling removes plaque and tartar that can build up on teeth and contribute to tooth discoloration and cavities. Professional cleanings are recommended every 6 months to maintain good oral health.
Keep your teeth bright by scheduling regular scaling appointments at the Smile Clinic.
Following these tips will help you maintain the whiteness of your teeth after a whitening treatment and keep your smile bright in the long run. Remember, however, that teeth whitening is a temporary treatment and that it is important to see a dentist regularly to monitor the condition of your teeth and gums.